If you are having trouble with the VIN scanner, here are some things to try/keep in mind:
- Check the lighting where you are scanning the VIN. If you are trying to scan in low light conditions, this can cause issues with your device’s camera not being able to read the VIN properly.
- Make sure the app has the proper permissions. The VIN scanner uses your device’s camera and must have access to this to be able to function properly. Here is an article that shows how to check this: How To Check App Permissions
- If the scanner normally works, but is suddenly not scanning properly, reboot your device and try again.
- Older devices with low-quality cameras are more likely to have issues with the scanner. If you aren’t sure if the device is the issue, then we recommend trying (even temporarily) a different/newer device to see if you get better results.
- If the VIN is scanning but isn’t getting all characters, your device’s camera may be completing the scan too quickly. This is most likely to happen when using a newer device and if you are moving the scanner in from the side of the VIN. Try coming in from the top and moving the camera down when scanning to see if you get better results.